Department of Education

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) explained.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is money paid by the government to help you with personal care and/or getting around.

How much money you get depends on how much help you need.

You can apply for DLA if you have:

  • Problems with personal care (eg, washing, dressing or going to the toilet).
  • Need someone to help you during the day or night.
  • Difficulty getting around outdoors without supervision.
  • Difficulties carrying out everyday activities due to a health condition.

Filling out a DLA form can be a long process so don’t try and complete the form in one go – do it in phases. See ‘What should I consider when filling in my DLA form?’

If you need any assistance in filling out your form, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau – they will be happy to help.


For full details on DLA and an application form, visit Directgov.

You can also find information on the NAS website.

To find your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice on completing your DLA application form.


Lost your password?