Inclusion Session 1: The exclusion process
Inclusion Session 1: The exclusion process – lawful and unlawful exclusions and avoiding disability discrimination
The aim of this module is to enable delegates to:
- Understand the exclusion process.
- Understand how a pupil’s autism might affect their behaviour
- Understand the impact of exclusion on autistic pupils and their families.
- Consider ways to meet and accommodate a pupil’s needs, to avoid exclusion
After completing this module delegates will be able to:
- Understand a headteacher’s power to suspend or permanently exclude an autistic pupil and other elements of the exclusion process as set out in statutory guidance.
- Explain the relevance of equality legislation on exclusion.
- Distinguish between lawful and unlawful exclusions and alternatives to exclusion.
- Recognise the impact of exclusion on families, seeing the exclusion experience through the eyes of the autistic pupil.