Who is this module for?
This module is an awareness-raising module for all staff in a school community, whether they be teachers, learning support assistants, school meals supervisors, or taxi drivers. The module provides an introduction to autism and the reasonable adjustments that need to be considered when working with autistic pupils.
- To extend your understanding of how autism affects pupils in school
- To increase your expertise in recognising a pupil’s individual strengths and differences
- To develop your skills in identifying barriers to learning for autistic pupils
- To develop your understanding of what “reasonable adjustments” need to be made to support an autistic pupil in your setting.
- Approach autism as a difference rather than as a deficit or disorder
- Recognise the three areas of difference for autistic pupils and how these can affect them
- Listen to and learn from the perspectives of autistic pupils and their parents/ carers
- Reflect on your practice and implement reasonable adjustments to support autistic pupils.
Staff meeting training for teachers, teaching assistants, midday supervisors office staff and caretakers/cleaners delivered by Autism Advocates IW and BD.