This module was developed in partnership with Ambitious about Autism to support the use of the Transition to Employment Toolkit.
Who is this module for?
This module looks specifically at the section for employers and provides editable templates such as a One Page Profile and Traveling to the Interview and Workplace. These templates can be used by the employer themselves, or in collaboration with an autistic young person and a post-16 careers and employability professional. You will learn about the strengths, talents and skillsets of autistic people. The module also covers interview and selection practices and reasonable adjustments that can be beneficial for autistic people seeking employment.
The ‘Introduction to autism in employment’ module will support you to:
- Explain the recruitment barriers autistic young people face in accessing employment opportunities.
- Promote the benefits of employing autistic young people for employers.
- Effectively use the tools within the Transition to Employment toolkit to prepare and support autistic young people into work experience/employment opportunities.
- Guide employers to implement accessible recruitment and selection processes, and workplace adjustments for autistic young people.
- Improve inclusive work experience/employment opportunities for autistic young people.
After completing the ‘Introduction to autism in employment’ module, you will be able to:
- Identify interview and selection practices that can remove barriers for autistic people, including helpful adjustments before, during and after an interview/assessment.
- Promote autistic strengths, talents and skill sets, and the benefits for employers of hiring autistic young people.
- Identify barriers autistic young people may encounter in the workplace, and examples of workplace adjustments that can be made.
- Reflect upon the anxieties autistic young people may experience within the workplace and how through successful implementation of workplace adjustments these will be reduced.
- Discuss the importance of employers promoting well-considered inclusive work experience/employment opportunities to enable autistic young people to reach their full potential, demonstrating their skills, expertise, and experience with confidence.
- Use and endorse tools from the toolkit to share with employers to identify, implement and record individualised workplace adjustments.